Friday, October 19, 2007

Welcome Addison Marie

Addison is finally in our arms. She of course couldn't come without some drama. They started the pitosin at 9 AM on Thursday and she finally arrived at 1:22 AM on Friday, 10/19.

We had a tornado watch at 9:30 PM Thursday and they made everyone evacuate the rooms, so they had to wheel my bed, IV and the monitors into the hall along with all the other laboring women. Luckily the watch only lasted 45 minutes. But it happened right as she was starting to make some progress and getting closer to pushing. Luckily I already had my epidural, so I wasn't in pain in the hall. I started pushing at midnight.

Back in the room, I had an 101 degree fever and her heart rate started dropping in the birth canal, so the doctor said we need to get her out now or would end up with a c-section if she stays in too long. He said I could choose forceps or a vacuum and with the nurse's help went with the forceps. They said they are easier on the baby but harder on the mom with tearing. Being the selfless person that I am I decided to sacrifice myself .

She weighed 7 pounds even and is 20 inches long. Her ear is bruised and she has a scratch along her face from the forceps. As they were cleaning her up she was grunting instead of crying, which is a sign of respiratory infection. They called NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) who took her and ran a chest x-ray and blood work. It was about 4:30 AM when we were finally able to go see her and get an update. The x-ray came back fine, but we have to wait until Sunday to find out the blood test results. She is still in NICU. They took her off the oxygen today and she is starting to feed on her own now. They are giving her antibiotics through an IV in case she does have an infection because the infection will have to be treated for 7 days before she can be released. They don't want to wait until Sunday to get the results and then start the treatment or take the chance of her getting sick between now and then.

My parents brought Zack this morning and I had my IV in my hand still. A nurse gave him some stickers and he put them all around my IV and didn't keep any for himself. So sweet. Zack did get to see his sister through the NICU window this evening but kids aren't allowed inside, so they haven't met in person yet. He also called the elevator the alligator and kept telling me about riding on the alligator. I was a little confused until mom explained it to me.

Addison looks just like Zack did when he was born and they both look like Grandpa Ronnie - big dimple in the chin and the natural frown. Lets hope he didn't pass on the cataracts too. I'm anxious to get home and compare pictures. I told the nurse that I'd like to stay until Sunday, since that will be the earliest that Addie will be released. Hopefully we will get to go home together on Sunday.

Here she is, Addison Marie. This was taken with Ryan's camera phone. I'll get the pictures off of my camera when I get home.

1 comment:

Jaidean said...

What a sweetheart - so cute! Can't wait to see more pictures! Congratulations!!!!